1/2 litre water
500g raw beetroot, peeled and sliced
8 coriander seeds
1 star anise (broken)
2 sprigs tarragon
2 sprigs mint
3 cloves garlic
80 ml ruby port
6 black peppercorns
50 ml red wine vinegar
Gelatine leaves – one leaf per 200 ml of stock
4 Mackerel fillets (trimmed and pin boned)
2 oranges. Peeled, cut in to segments and diced
2 oranges. Zest finely grated and juice
50ml white wine vinegar
200ml Borderfields cold pressed rapeseed oil
1. Place all the ingredients in to a pan. Bring to the boil and lightly simmer for approx. two hours and pass through a sieve.
2. Season the jelly and add the soaked gelatine, Whisk in to dissolve.
3. Pour in to small shot glasses to half fill and chill in the fridge to set.
1. In a hot non-stick pan, add a little Borderfields cold pressed rapeseed oil.
2. Pan fry the fillets skin side down for approx. two minutes until crisp.
3. Season the base of the fish with a little salt. Turn the fish over and remove the pan from the heat.
4. Allow the fish to sit for approx 1 minute, season with a little salt and squeeze of lemon.
1. Reduce the orange juice and zest to a syrup, add the vinegar and rapeseed oil and warm through, whisk to emulsify, and pass through a fine sieve.
2. Add the diced oranges and warm slightly, being careful not to break up the diced oranges.