For the lemon & rapeseed oil sponge
5 free-range eggs
300g caster sugar
100ml Borderfields Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil
80ml double cream
3 lemons, finally grated zest only
1 pinch salt
60g unsalted butter, melted
270g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
For the apricot jam glaze
3 tbsp apricot jam, warmed in a small saucepan
For the lemon glaze
2 lemons, finally grated zest and juice
180gm icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, cream, lemon zest, rapeseed oil, salt and butter together.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a separate bowl then whisk it into the egg mixture until you have a smooth batter.
4. Lightly butter a loaf tin and line it with greaseproof paper.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 40–50 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. The cake is cooked when a knife blade inserted into the middle comes out clean.
6. Remove the cake from the tin, turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes. This will allow the steam to escape before you glaze the cake. Leave the oven turned on.
7. Brush the cake with the warmed apricot glaze and leave for five minutes while you make the lemon glaze.
8. For the lemon glaze, mix together the lemon juice, zest and icing sugar.
9. Heat the mixture in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved and you have a syrup.
10. Brush the glaze all over the cake and leave for a few minutes to set.
11. Place the glazed cake in the oven on a baking tray, turn off the heat and leave for approx 5 minutes to dry the glaze and turn it translucent.
12. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool to room temperature before serving.