Prep time: 45 min, oven time: 50 min
5 sweet potatoes, sliced into thin wedges
Borderfeilds coldpressed rapeseed oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
4 free range British sirloin steaks
For the peppercorn sauce
30g unsalted butter
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
4 tbsp Cognac
100ml red wine
3 tbsp single cream
wilted spinach to serve
1 Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/ Gas mark 6. You will need two large flat trays. Spread the sweet potatoes over the two trays and generously coat them with the oil. Season liberally with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, turning occasionally, so they brown evenly.
2. Meanwhile rub the steaks thoroughly with the garlic cloves, coat them with oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. For the sauce, in a medium saucepan, add the butter and shallots and gently fry over a low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until softened.
4. Turn up the heat and add the peppercorns and Cognac, and reduce for 2 minutes, be careful as the booze will more than likely flambé! Then add the red wine and reduce by half, this will take 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and keep bubbling on a low heat whilst you cook the steaks. Taste the sauce and add seasoning according to your taste.
5. When the chips are 5-10 minutes from being done, heat a large frying pan over a high heat. When the pan is searing hot, add the steaks and fry for 21/2 minutes on each side for rare. To check how rare the meat is press your thumb and index finger together, feel the fleshy bottom part of the thumb. For a rare steak you want it to feel the same as the thumb. By pressing your second finger and thumb together, the fleshy part of your thumb will feel like a medium rare steak, continue working through your fingers for more well-done steak textures.
6. Allow the steaks to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the chips and sauce. I like to wilt some spinach to go with the steak as well.
Recipes and food styling: Lottie Covell
Food photography- Lauren Mclean
From the Last secret supper club (www.lastsecretsupperclub.com) @yourlastsupper