• ½ Small red onion, finely chopped
• 8 Tomatoes (roughly 500g), chopped and drained
• 2-3 Garlic cloves, crushed
• 8 Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
• 30ml Balsamic vinegar
• 60-80ml Borderfields rapeseed oil (can use garlic or chilli for added flavour but original is specified)
• 1 Baguette or crusty loaf
1. Cut your onions, basil, and tomatoes (with seeds and liquid drained) and crush your garlic.
2. Mix all your chopped ingredients in a large bowl, making sure you don’t mash the tomatoes too much. Add the balsamic vinegar and oil to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper until it is to your liking and mix again, Cover and let chill for 1-hour minimum.
3. Slice your bread of choice into thick slices (roughly 12) and lightly toast them until they are light brown on both sides.
4. Serve the mixture on warm bread. Leave the mixture to rest outside of the fridge for half an hour before serving if you prefer it at room temperature.